Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14: learning from mistakes

The only people who don't make mistakes don't make anything

This photo was part of an advertisement and was taken at my local shopping centre. My immediate response was oh no, I don't think so. My husband often quotes "The only people who don't make mistakes don't make anything," a very comforting thought really as one blunders through life trying our best, and learning as we go. The fact that this statement was part of an advertisement is also interesting, as it is in trying to look as if we never make mistakes that we become vulnerable to the persuasive tactics of marketers who try to get us to buy what we don't need. Be patient with mistakes, our own and others' as experience is a great teacher.

5 comments:

  1. When I was teaching I had this quote from Niels Bohr hanging in my room: An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field. I would always congratulate students on making mistakes as it was an opportunity to learn something. Keep making mistakes - better than always staying in a comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...experience is a great teacher." love this Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we are trying to teach our kids that mistakes are part of the learning experience, we have to live that ourselves. Bit of a struggle for me, but a worthwhile one. Thanks for the thoughtful post, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote reminds me of times politicians have said it. Of course, they are not immune to mistakes either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make no mistake is also quite a cliche in some circles. Politicians, people in command, like to sound confident and true. Those people are scary.

    ReplyDelete